The Delaware Department of Agriculture provides financial assistance, grants, and loans for a variety of projects and activities. At least five programs deserve attention:
- Farming Assistance: will compensate contract poultry growers who had an active grower contract in force on facilities located in Delaware on March 15 when COVID-19 impacted our state, have an approved CAFO permit or have filed a Notice of Intent for CAFO coverage, and do not have business interruption coverage for the losses covered by the grant program. Deadline December 1, link to form online
- Farmland Preservation Assistance:
- Food Safety Audit Cost-Share: a cost-share program designed to assist Delaware fruit and vegetable growers with the cost associated with obtaining a third-party food safety audit and the testing of their agricultural water.
- Forestry Assistance:
- Urban Forestry Grants offers grants annually to communities and civic associations throughout the state for tree planting and tree management projects on publicly owned lands;
- Forest Landowner Cost Share Program provides cost-share assistance to landowners for a variety of forest management activities, including reforestation, prescribed fire, herbicide application, and pre-commercial thinning administered.
- Nutrient Management Assistance:
- Nutrient Management Plan Cost-Share Assistance Program provides cost-shares for farmers to develop nutrient management plans to meet the regulations of Delaware’s Nutrient Management law;
- Nutrient Management Relocation Program provides funding to help transport excess manure to alternative use projects or farms needing nutrients.